Published on September 23, 2020
Our movement is growing! Caregivers' Action Centre is hiring a Care Worker Leader Organizer!
We are looking for a former or current migrant Care Worker who is interested in supporting, educating, inspiring and empowering Care Workers to fight for their rights and push to change the systems that prevent them from living and working with dignity!
This is also an opportunity to develop and build your skills in community organizing for decent work and fair immigration rules!
Caregivers’ Action Centre Care Worker Leader Organizer
Dates: October 5, 2020 - March 31, 2021
Hours: 7 to 10 hours per week (to be determined with leader based on availability)
Monthly honorarium: $625/month to $895/month (depending on the hours per week)
The Caregivers’ Action Centre (CAC) is seeking a Care Worker Leader Organizer to support our organizing work. This is a great opportunity for a Care Worker Leader to further develop their leadership and organizing skills. The CAC is a grassroots organization of current and former Care Workers that is committed to improving the lives and working conditions of Care Workers.
Summary of work areas
- Maintain communication with Care Workers by using a variety of methods (i.e. Facebook, Facebook messenger, whatsapp, text, phone, etc.);
- Assist with outreach, building relationships with Care Workers and bringing them into CAC’s organizational membership structure;
- Assist with identifying potential members, and increasing the engagement and leadership skills of our membership;
- Assist with educating workers on their employment rights and provide up-to-date information about the current immigration processes, and make connections to other supports or referrals if necessary;
- Participate in team meetings, membership meetings, campaign events, leadership training sessions, and other skill-building activities.
Skills and Experience
- Commitment to Caregivers’ Action Centre;
- Knowledge of the Caregiver Program;
- Experience providing information, advocacy and support with women, immigrant workers or low-wage workers, ideally when addressing workplace and immigration issues;
- Experience using web based tools for communication, such as Facebook, Whatsapp is an asset;
- Knowledge of immigration and labour laws affecting caregivers is an asset;
- Knowledge of additional languages is an asset;
- Ability to work independently and collectively;
- Ability to work flexible hours is an asset. Some evening and weekend work will be required.
CAC’s Full-time Organizer will provide ongoing mentorship and support, and will ensure that you are provided with ongoing training/skill-building opportunities. There will be mandatory workshops to attend, which could include, but won’t be limited to:
- Outreach & follow-up strategies
- Community Organizing 101
- Overview of employment and immigration laws
- Anti-Black Racism & Indigenous training
Reporting of Activities
Written monthly Activity Reports will be provided to the Full-time Organizer as a way to get support, guidance, and assess how your work is going. A Monthly Activity Report template will be provided.
A monthly stipend of $50 will be provided to support cell phone expenses.
This position is only available to current or former migrant Care Workers with experience in the Caregivers’ Action Centre.
Interested participants should respond to the below questions by Wednesday, September 30, 2020. Please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
*****Please answer these questions to apply*****
- Why do you want to be a Care Worker Leader Organizer with CAC?
- What experience do you have that will help you do this work? (For example, this could include your experience with the Caregiver Program or with CAC)
- How do you plan to encourage new Care Workers to get involved with CAC?
NOTE: Your answers don’t have to be long and don’t worry about spelling or grammar!